Sunday, February 15, 2009

Twister Puked on My House


As I mentioned earlier, we have 13 years of accummulation in our house. As if that wasn't enought we just completed (almost) a year and half long basement remodel which included buying additional new furniture for the living room. And now I have to reduce all of this down to a small New York apartment.


Obviously multiple estate and yard sales will be in order, but where to begin. It occured to me to ask my friend Tricia Wells who recently helped her mother move from their large family home into a smaller retirement community home. She and her husband also live in a very small and efficient condo on Queen Anne. I just had a hunch she'd have some ideas and she did.


You know those packs of Avery colored dots you get at any office supply store? I don't know what their original intent is but they've become a brilliant way for me to organize everything in my house based on its fate. RED=sell, GREEN=take to NYC, YELLOW=donate, BLUE=dibbed by a friend. I spent all day identifying, sticking and a little tossing too. Next time you have a lot of stuff to organize turn your house into a Twister party aftermath.

2 comments:

  1. I need to furnish our new basement...give me dibs! Send me photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who moved from a big Colonial in suburban Boston to 1000 square feet in Fremont, I can tell you to get rid of almost everything and just start over. Craigslist is your friend. It really is cheaper, less worrisome, and more fun to move cross-country this way.

    I am a fan of big moves and all the adventure they bring. Best wishes to you for a fabulous experience!

    ReplyDelete