Monday, August 9, 2010

The Nerdy New Yorker

I've never claimed to be too cool for school.  Wouldn't even try to fake that one.  There are some things that come naturally and some that don't.  For me, faking things and comprimising comfort are two things I don't do so well. So as I strolled around Manhattan in the mid-August humidity that borders on oppressive with a visiting Seattlite and fellow Fem-preneur, Nicole Donnelly, she asked;
"How do you deal with this heat?"
"By being a nerd", I replied.

Fair and square, I am the Nerdy New Yorker.  Every summer as the heat and humidity tries to out-do each other I get increasingly nerdier.  Where to begin explaining.  The shoes? The umbrella? The hat? the underwear?

Let's start with the stats: currently its 90 degrees with 45% humidity.
Adding to this: hot pavement, subway vents, airconditioner units going, car exhaust and lots of buildings, all radiating heat.

How do you combat this? Its a process that I'm close to perfecting, and though it will help make your body a bit cooler it won't do a damn thing for your hip and cool factor. 
  • Shoes - your feet swell with excessive walking which is unavoidable in NYC, but then you add some external heat and BOOM.  You have sausages. NYC streets are filthy on a regular day but they are disgusting in the summer time.  Flip flops aren't ideal, but if you have to I reccommend Fit Flops because they are ergonomic, have a lot more cushion and are raised to keep you off the ground a bit. Also, Jambu sport shoe for casual and quite a few of Born's dressier shoes
  • Hat - sometimes just the littlest amont of shade can make a huge difference.  I like San Diego Hat company for their many cloth and straw varieties designed especially for sun. 
  • Umbrella - now were are really getting nerdy, but wait until I tell you about this one. Everyone in my family has had skin cancer so I'm careful to always wear sunscreen (my favorite comes from my dermatologist who is also the founder of MD Skincare). I read about Sun Grubbies UV reflective umbrellas while reading a blog about a photoshoot in Death Valley and how they survived the 120 degree heat. It literally brings the tempurature down by 10 degrees when you stand under it.
  • Folding Fan - Its literally 112 degrees on the subway platforms. 'nuff sed. I buy them in bulk at Pearl River Mart for $.45 because people are always commenting on how they wish they had one so I give them mine and pull out an extra.
  • Clothing - all cotton, all dresses, all of the time. I own about 15 little cotton dresses that I bought at the begining of the season from Zara. Each of the cost me around $40.  They are stylish, don't have an acetate sticky lining and hid those trickles running down my back. This Spanish based line takes a very european approach to 'cheap 'n' cheerful'.  Classier and better made than H&M, but not found nationwide yet.  However on September 2 you can begin shopping them on line.
  • Underwear - yes, you even have to give special consideration to this. Because it is the first contact with your skin it needs to be ultra performance.  Patagonia, Ex Officio, Athleta, all make performance, moisture wicking underwear for women. The Barely Hipster and the Boy Brief are currently making my life a lot more comfortable.
  • Keeping Face - Blotting papers are the best way to remove the sheen without adding more make-up.  I buy mine at Asian department stores like Pearl River Mart, but you can also find them at Sephora along with Neutrogena.
Now before you think me a complete geek let me just say that whatever I do in my attempts to keep cool, it could be worse.  It could always be worse.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... this gave me lots of good tips on how to stay cool. And I think that whatever you wear is cool Darcey! You are a trend setter in any kind of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you. Like i said, it could always be worse. I could be sitting on a pedestal looking like a young boy with a lacy umbrella. I actually found that photo on a nerds website.

    ReplyDelete