Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Living The Life Of Cool

"You do the coolest things."
"How'd you get that gig?"
"Where'd you find that?"
"I want your life for a while."

No this isn't a post about just how cool I think I am.  This is about hard work, authentic networking and being intentional. Or how I prefer to put it; "Pimpin' ain't easy".

Recently I was fulfilling what I see as my obligation as a tastemaker for Starbucks by posting a photo of the summer coffee gift pack they sent me.  Shortly afterwards the comments came rolling in:
"I want to be a tastemaker, where do I apply for this job?"
"Life is good."
"Um, how did you get picked for this?"

To which I just responded; "Pimpin' ain't easy people". 

Why such a short, glib response? Because for me to elaborate on the truth of how I was sought out would have made this experience and many others in my life seem a lot less sexy. And as we all know, sex sells. So to say something like:
"I lived in Seattle, the home of Starbucks, for 20+ years where I worked in branding for apparel and gourmet food, particularly for the coffee industry and for the last 7 years of my life there I networked my ass off, relentlessly and authentically to build my own brand as a speaker and a strategic wardrobe and personal style and branding consultant, which positioned me in the media and most social circles as someone with a little bit of a brain, a lot of moxy, that knows how to hustle and is a trusted resource with some good style."

Yawn....right? Sexy. Not! Do you get how this works? Let me help you out.
  • Live Your Life Like You Are The Next Contestant On A Game Show. A friend of mine once aptly described me with this reference. I took it as a tremendous compliment. Why? Because Bob Barker doesn't pick the person that is skeptical, not enthused and afraid to leave their comfort zone. And neither will your next client, boss, soul mate, life changing opportunity.... insert whatever you have been trying to "manifest" here.
  • Know Thy Self. Know what you stand for and what you believe in. No one likes a sell out. If you haven't figured it out I use the the word "pimpin'" as a euphemism for hustling, moxy, assertive and genuine.  Not sleazy sell out. 
  • No Guts, No Glory. If you aren't willing to put yourself out there no one will find you. And that doesn't mean bawdy Facebook posts and too many Tweets.
  • Varity Capital.  A phrase that my dear friend Sadee Whip gave to how I like to do business and the kinds of companies and people that I will work with.  It means that if you are committed to your truth people will buy it. Its how I live my life.
  • Be Intentional.  If any of you have ever heard me speak you know that this is not just the foundation for my lifestyle but for my decision making and my PBTA program. You know the old saying, 'haste makes waste', it doesn't mean you can't be spontaneous it just means you have to have a reason for what you do. But do something!
We've had this conversation before. Remember? In "A New York Moment". But when Besty Talbot, who is the epitome of living the life of cool as chronicled in her wildly successful and interesting blog "Married With Luggage" asked if I would contribute to "Learn the Secrets of a Good Life" I knew I needed to put this into a usable format and not just a random musing on cool. Thank you Betsy for insipiring us all to live a good life and letting us follow along on yours.

Go forth you! Live The Life Of Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment